At Hopewell, we Believe In...
- Providing access to music education because financial circumstances should not prevent a child from studying music
- Teaching discipline, promoting goal-setting, and improving our students’ life skills
- Creating comprehensive, rigorous, high-quality music instruction by dedicated professionals
- Developing our students’ commitment to community service
- A commitment to students completing their secondary education and inspiring a dedication to lifelong learning
- Adding beauty and hope to students’ lives through music
Through our programming and outreach work, we strengthen the community by promoting acceptance, cooperation, and pride within our students, partners and community. Our commitment to openness and accessibility, both as teachers and as musicians, fosters an attitude of acceptance within our students and community. Our willingness to listen, share, and act promotes acceptance and spurs community involvement from the various vibrant cultures throughout North Minneapolis whose differences serve to strengthen the collective. This cooperation to work together towards a shared goal builds camaraderie within our school as students learn quickly to work as a team while effectively voicing their opinion. Hopewell programming teaches that both sharing and listening are necessary for the group to succeed, and that participation and preparation are key in moving a whole community forward. Once our students see this successful cycle and reach their goals, pride is instilled and emanates through the entire community
Jonathan Cowgill conducted a research project in Fall 2015 to study the benefits of the Hopewell Music Cooperative. His results show that our students develop valuable life skills while strengthening their community.